RANDOLPH COUNTY — A repeat sex offender was arrested Thursday on suspicion of soliciting teen girls for sex after police were contacted by a predator catcher group.
The 40-year-old Muncie man's chat logs showed him engaged in sexual conversations with two members of the group who posed as 14-year-old girls, according to a news release from the Randolph County Sheriff's Department.
An investigation began when police were contacted by the group, PCM: Predator Catchers Muncie. Police first met with the group on Jan. 14.
MORE | Two found dead after early morning house fire in Monticello
The group provided the suspect's full chat logs, which also showed he had agreed to meet one of the members he believed to be a minor, the Sheriff's Department said.
Police later obtained a warrant for the man's arrest and arrested him at his home.
The suspect faces a felony count of child solicitation, which carries a penalty of one to six years if convicted and a fine of up to $10,000.
MORE | Teen accused of taking staff member, two other kids hostage at children's home
He was previously convicted in two separate child solicitation cases, the Sheriff's Department said.
The man has not yet been formally charged in the most recent investigation.
-
BLOG: Severe storms cause extensive damage, 1 death in Central Indiana Wednesday
On Wednesday, Central Indiana was upgraded to the moderate risk category (level 4/5 risk) for severe weather.Indiana outlines new high school diploma guidelines with key partnerships
Indiana high school students will soon have a new choice regarding their education as the state unveils a redesigned diploma program.Steel suppliers preparing for possible tariff impacts
More steel is made in Indiana than in any other state. Local suppliers are now waiting to find out how tariffs on foreign steel will affect their business.Funeral homes concerned tariffs could drive up costs
Laying a loved one to rest takes a toll on a family and now that process could be more expensive for Hoosier families.